Friday, February 8, 2008

Well, not quite yet...

Ok...here's the deal.
I save a bit of money, eh? I pay off bills, buy food, put gas in my van. Give to the Church, maybe go see a movie...yadda yadda...
In the meantime, I am putting away as many dimes and nickels as I possibly can ~ for what?!?
Tada!
Yes, presenting the one, the only, the
Wacom Intuo3 Special Edition...the Grand-daddy of all graphics tablets, the one I want!
I know, I know, I really have all the paper, bristol board, pencils *giggle*, etc. that I can possibly ever want or need. But there is something so intriguing, so magical in this thing that I can not wait to possess one for myself!
The only problem here is the cost of the darned thing ~ over $400.00 ~ and right now it is only a dream of mine to get one.
I have seen what it can do, what other Artists have done with theirs, and it is truly wonderful.
And, being an Artist and a computer nut myself ~ according to my own daughter and future son-in-law ~ I am completely sold on what it will do for me.
And the size I am especially interested in is the 9x12, which is probably bigger than I need, but it will give me the extra room in case I do decide to go "bigger"...but this doesn't worry me too much as many of my drawings are 9x12 anyways...so I see no point in spending money on a smaller version if I know for a fact that I will regret it and end up spending even more on a larger format in the end, to boot!
However, I could be wrong about this ~ perhaps the size is only relative ~ and perhaps if I use the smaller (say, 6x8) it will not matter, and I will have saved literally hundreds of dollars!
I must go to my Botanical Artists Group and pose the question...maybe they can shed the light for me!
In the meantime, it remains a dream of mine, and I will someday realize this dream, I promise myself! lol...

2 comments:

Mike and Joanna said...

Wacom tablet size.

I'm in the botanical drawing group. I have used tablets for a long time- 15+ years. (I first started with one where the pen was connected by a wire to the board) The sensitivity of the boards now is quite high and getting the larger tablet may not be necessary. The larger the tablet the more arm and gesture movement you can record- which means you'll need to place the board in a comfortable spot to facilitate that or you won't be able to do body gestures. If all you are doing is finger and short hand movements the 4x 5 or 6 x 9 size are just as good and much cheaper. The pens are getting better too. They have nice cushioned fat ones now. I think the pen might even be more important than the tablet.

I have never used the screen based tablets and I always wonder if those would make work easier.

I have the mid sized wacom- the one you're thinking of getting. I'm so used to using a keyboard to alter pen commands I turned off the fancy finger slider and command shift key gizmo. I like it a lot and If you don't care about portability then that is a nice model.

I also have 6 x9 and 4x5's and I could easily get by using them instead and often use them when I'm taking my laptop out traveling.

Also, a used Wacom tablet might be cheaper than a new retail one. Or even a "reconditioned" or older model. I haven't checked ebay for the prices these go for second hand but I would look there as well to see what you could save. Maybe even a used one on craigslist if you live in a big metropolitan area.


Also, if you get a wacom. I have to say their support staff get top marks. I have always been able to get through quickly and had my problems solved.

I like the wedding flower pictures.

Oh. I use photoshop. I have painter but I don't like painting on the computer- I use the table mostly for work with illustrator- jewelry design. I like painting with real paints and on a stand up easel so I get my body involved. I then photograph my gesture drawings/paintings and use them in illustrator or photoshop to fine tune.

Mike

*~JennD.'J.M.J.'~* said...

Dear Joanna ~ You might not believe this...but now, almost a year later, I am just receiving your comment! Unbelieveable!!! I don't know what it is about Blogger; my other two Blogs don't do this, I have even re-done my settings...
Anyway, if you are reading this now, I apologize for being so late! :(
Thank-you very much for the words of advice; I still have not purchased the tablet (still on the ol' wish list, lol) but I dream about it!
I am so glad you like the drawings of the wedding flowers; I had a blast doing those...and now they have been married for 10 months. Andrea's bouquet & Nick's boutenir have been preserved under glass & it looks amazing. :)
Anyway, I hope you still come to my Blog ~ feel free to leave comments; I promise I am not like this...and as soon as I get all responses, I add my own two cents asap!
Take care & God bless!